Wednesday 8 August 2018

The journey within - the need

THE JOURNEY WITHIN -  THE NEED TO EXPRESS GRATITUDE


Last week, one of my old friend met me after a long time.  After pleasantry exchanges, I was informed that recently he had been to pilgrimage to one of the most sacred place in northern region of the country.  As he informed, the sole intention was to express gratefulness and seek blessings of the Lord.  And he seemed to be very happy for doing the same.  He went on to narrate his experiences of utter discomfort and hardships he had to go through which dominated in our conversation.  I consoled him saying that anyway he achieved what he intended to.  But he said he was not sure.  

THE JOURNEY WITHIN -  THE NEED TO EXPRESS GRATITUDE


Back home, my friend's experience was stimulating me.  There are so many things which are part of our family, social, cultural, religious aspects of life.  We have considerable dependence on them.We do have interactions at different levels and from which we cannot remain aloof.  It is great idea to express our gratefulness to them.

At this stage, another thought entered in my mind.  

This was interesting thought.  While we take cognizance of external things, we seldom take into consideration  the things on which our very existence depends. To say it clearly, in this life our very existence is depending on our body.  The body is live because of its  various internal  physiological  system on which we have no control.  To speak in terms of primary school level lessons, our respiratory system, blood circulation system, nervous system, digestive system, and so on.  Why not undertake pilgrimage to my  body's internal organs which are performing round the clock in my body?

THE JOURNEY WITHIN -  THE NEED TO EXPRESS GRATITUDE


At this time around, I was returning from my morning walk when I missed a step on the tiled track. My left hand thumb got sprained.  For three days I was aware of my thumb and its sprain.  On a lazy afternoon, having nothing to do all of a sudden I decided to have a journey within.


After resting in shavasana,  I started my journey within.


THE JOURNEY WITHIN -  THE NEED TO EXPRESS GRATITUDE



I closed my eyes, relaxed my body taking three consecutive deep breaths. I brought my inner awareness at the middle of my eyebrows.  Then twice I thought to myself that I am going to visit all my vital organs in the body and express my gratitude.

I started with my brain.  I visualized meeting my brain.  It was busy in its activities.  You are really working hard, I must appreciate, I said and hugged my brain in love and expressed my gratitude.

Next, I went to my eyes.  'Because of you, I am able to perceive the world around me. I am really grateful.' 

Then it was my tongue I met.  'Thanks a lot.  Because of you, I am able to  taste and decided what to eat or not.  Because of you I am able to exchange my thoughts with the world by speech. '

Next I met my respiratory system.  I expressed my heartfelt gratitude for the vital functions being performed by it.

Then, there was my entire digestive system, consisting of lever, pancreas, the intestine, the kidneys.  They all appeared very busy, unaware of me.  However, drawing their  attention to me, I expressed my gratitude for the work being done by them which was very much vital for me.

Then the most important organ of the body, heart. It was busy pumping in and out and taking care of the vital blood circulation.  I expressed my heart-felt gratitude to my heart. My heart seemed to display sort of satisfaction on its face (?) without stopping its function.

Concluding my first journey within I came back to the starting point.

THE JOURNEY WITHIN -  THE NEED TO EXPRESS GRATITUDE


Relaxing my body I took three consecutive deep breaths. I focused my inner awareness at the middle of my eyebrows. I affirmed to myself twice that I have expressed gratitude to all the vital systems and organs in my body.  And I feel relaxed and  experiencing peace peace of mind.

I must state here that after this session, there was no trace of pain or uneasiness in my left hand thumb. Not only that I felt the tremendous feeling of total rejuvenation in my body.

Therefore, I decided to share my above experience with all those interested.

THE JOURNEY WITHIN -  THE NEED TO EXPRESS GRATITUDE


A little search on the internet revealed that sincerely expressing gratitude help release endorphins throughout our body resulting in whole body system rejuvenated.

Next time ....


No comments:

Post a Comment

 BALANCING LIFE'S PRIORITIES  (In this article, discover the importance of balancing life's priorities and find strategies to help y...

Trending