Monday 17 September 2018

WHAT ARE THE HABITS WORTH ADOPTING FOR IMPROVING ONE'S OWN LIFE?


WHAT ARE THE HABITS WORTH ADOPTING FOR IMPROVING ONE'S OWN LIFE?

After my voluntary retirement about 5 years ago,with effective application of wisdom gained out of my own life experiences, I pondered over the way of life ahead I must lead.
I was, and am,well aware that for wisdom gained out of our own experiences,one life is not enough. So one has to learn from wisdom of others also.
This made me aware of the treasure of wisdom of our earlier generations - ancient wisdom.
For this reading and learning was inevitable. I also realized that reading only is not enough. What is the significance of knowledge gained if it is not practised for our own transformation in life?
The purpose of the life is to learn and strengthen our wisdom and adopting it to achieve progress towards transformation of life.
For this purpose it is essential to have sound mental and physical health.
For this I took following steps -
For mental health-
I started to read books on positive thinking, good moral thoughts, wisdom thoughts of old people, self help books, and so on.
I stopped wasting valuable time in watching TV programs depicting and encouraging negativity,reading newspapers in detail. Even if by chance I happen to come across such things I warn my mind “not for me”.
I earnestly try to implement good thing I learn from reading. For example , I read autobiography of one retired medical practitioner who mentions that he daily does 12 Surya namaskaras i.e. sun salutations, pranayams,walking, keeping himself busy positively, being compassionate, always wish good for others, praying for peace and welfare of people in the world. There are so many things one can learn and practice. This has rewarded him good health.
Now if we read books and learn some thing , this must be followed by practice in one's life. This will ensure not only good health, but also enable us achieve complete transformation of our life. Positive thinking, good wishes for all,prayer for prevalence of peace in the world are the things which help us to have sound mental health. And remember, sound mental health leads to sound physical health.
And I must add here that it is characteristic of Indian culture to pray for universal peace. Remember the mantra "Om Shanti Shanti Shanti" ?
Apart from reading books, observing people,their life, places around, enable us to learn more and more.
For sound physical health I have implemented following-
Surya namaskaras, half an hour pranayam, about an hour morning walk, half an hour Yoga Nidra, (I intend to write in detail about this topic in near future).
I do all my works personally,except cooking. The purpose is to be independent as far as possible and ensure I do not give unnecessary troubles to my family members .
The above together form the ideal  habits worth adopting not only for improving my life but also achieving transformation in my life.

Next time......

No comments:

Post a Comment

 BALANCING LIFE'S PRIORITIES  (In this article, discover the importance of balancing life's priorities and find strategies to help y...

Trending